Thursday, September 15, 2011

Forty-and-a-Half-Week Midwife Appointment

I went to the midwife yesterday for a fairly quick visit. I arrived about 20 minutes early and did not wait in the waiting room long at all before being called back to do the usual pee in a cup (must have been fine), jump on the scale (144 pounds, back down the 1.5 pounds I had previously gained -- the midwife said it is normal to lose weight at the tailend of the pregnancy), and have my blood pressure taken (90/60). One of the nurses asked me if I wanted to have my cervix checked, and I once again told her I would leave it up to the midwife. And I did not end up getting checked.

I was taken to an examination room and waited just briefly before Helen came in. She asked how I was doing, and I told her I was hanging in there despite being pretty well ready to have the baby. She asked what my feelings were to possibly go into next week still pregnant, and I explained how I never thought I would even make it to the due date, let alone that far past it, but also that I was pretty much resigned to the fact that it will happen when the baby is ready. She suggested I get another ultrasound done on Monday just to check out fluid levels again, as well as the baby's movement and vitals in general. If I make it until then, and everything looks okay, and if I then go on to make it to Wednesday, I will see the midwives again then. At that point Helen said that it is quite possible we would decide to go ahead and schedule an induction. She said their practice is not keen on inductions, but that when they are done, they avoid using medication in the beginning. Instead, they insert a catheter into the cervix, which has a balloon on the end of it (Foley catheter induction). Apparently that balloon stimulates the cervix, causing it to dilate. It does not sound extremely pleasant to me, but it is nice to know that they do try to avoid using medication if at all possible.

Helen measured my belly and listened to the baby's heartbeat, and everything seemed fine and normal. I confirmed things like the fact that I call the office's normal business line when I do actually go into labor, and that when we go to the hospital, if it is between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., we are go to through the emergency room; otherwise, we just go ahead and head to labor and delivery.

This just seems crazy to me. I am now 40 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I am much more uncomfortable than I ever was with Elsa (if I am remembering correctly), probably because I just did not go this long since she came two days before her due date. My hips and upper legs ache when I wake up in the morning, I have a lot of pressure going on in my pelvic region, and some other issues that I just will not bother going into for your benefit. Really, overall, I cannot complain, though. My body seems to handle pregnancy pretty darn well, and I have had things pretty easy through both pregnancies. I have still not even had to deal with swelling in my ankles or anything this time around.

I really am just trying to give into this as much as possible at this point. Trying to tell myself that there is no reason to get worked up about it or worry about when it is going to happen. But it is difficult, of course. We are so ready. I keep doing things over that I think I have done for the last time before going to the hospital. I cleaned the house again on Tuesday. I have done yet more laundry over the past couple of days. I went grocery shopping yet again today. And every morning/evening we unpack and repack our toiletries, etc. But I know the more I dwell on it, the more I am probably just tensing everything up. So I am trying to just relax. It will happen soon, one way or another.

I did learn that Margaret is on call until tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. After that, Anjli takes over. So I guess I know that my Margaret option is running out, which is somewhat sad. But, like I have said, Anjli seems fabulous too, so it really is a win-win situation.

Kate insisted I get a picture taken in the peach tank top once again. So here it is, from yesterday evening:

2 comments:

  1. Have I MENTIONED how insanely ADORABLE you are???? I think God's keeping the baby in there just because you walking around the earth looking like that (your tiny frame, that baby just sitting out in obvious full-grown view) has to delight a thousand hearts just as much as it does me. :-) Think of the joy you're bringing people just by them looking at you!
    And I have to admit, I feel somewhat guilty; I was right at 2 weeks overdue when I finally came, and I too was the second baby. They got to the point where they told my mom they would induce the next day, and then I fiiiiinally decided, weeeellll, ooookaaaayyyyy. And that was 1980, the summer in Texas that this year's drought and heat wave has been trying to beat. So I (or my mom, rather) really feel for you.
    You're doing a wonderful job trying to relax. I'm really sorry you feel uncomfortable in the process. I'm not the one in your position, and even I am dying for her to get here-- every time I see a fb post by you or google reader feed my heart skips a beat, just wondering if it is THE post.
    Alas, if patience must be taught to us, your adorable pregnant self is the most beautiful lesson I've ever been given!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes, and my own post just scared me for a second. But I am not east coast time, thank goodness. maybe i'll go to bed anyway. <3

    ReplyDelete