On Wednesday evening, Jarrett and I (along with our friends, David and Shelly, who are hoping to get pregnant soon and are considering Intown Midwifery) went to a "meet and greet" with the midwives from the practice at Atlanta Medical Center. Margaret was on call that evening, so she was not there, but that actually worked out nicely for me since the other two midwives are the ones I really needed to meet anyway. Both Anjli and Amy seemed fabulous and I got really good vibes from both of them, which really made me happy. It will be interesting to see what I think once I am able to talk to them more one on one in the office, but my first impression is certainly good. I was a little sad that Margaret was not there for Shelly's sake because I would have really loved for her to hear Margaret speak, but someone had to be delivering those babies!
The meet and greet was basically just a big question and answer session between the midwives and those interested in Intown Midwifery for their prenatal care, waterbirth, or the hospital in general. There was not too much I heard that I did not already know from my previous birthing experience, but it was nice to hear it all again anyway. I did learn that children under the age of 18 are not allowed on the hospital floors during cold and flu season, but I think our little one should come before that officially begins next year, so hopefully Elsa will be able to come up to the room to meet her new brother or sister.
The primary reason Jarrett and I wanted to go (besides meeting the other two midwives) was to go on the hospital tour, which Anjli lead after the question and answer period. The hospital really reminded both Jarrett and me of North Fulton Regional -- fairly small in comparison with many hospitals, and nice enough. I have to laugh at how it seems the labor and delivery rooms are always so much nicer than the post-partum rooms, where you actually end up spending most of your time (and are likely more aware of your surroundings). However, it was nice that the labor and delivery rooms had recently been renovated. They were fairly small -- especially compared to what I had at North Fulton -- but they were nicely appointed, and the bathrooms were good-sized and super nice.
For laboring in the tub, and for waterbirth, the hospital has three inflatable birthing tubs. These are much smaller than the huge, permanent tub I lucked out in getting with Elsa, but had I not had the room I did when I birthed her, I would have had one of these inflatable tubs there too. And, as Jarrett pointed out, the fact that they are air-filled might be nice when leaning up against it and what not, so I am not too disappointed.
The post-partum rooms were tiny and aged, but nothing we cannot live with. What is more important is the care we receive while there, and I have heard good things. I know we have made a good choice with the midwifery practice, and I am fairly certain we will be just as pleased with the hospital.
No comments:
Post a Comment